I once had need to speak with a Bishop to ask his assistance in securing the Lord's forgiveness for my sins. I admit I was reluctant to make that first appointment and visit with him. Part of my reluctance was shame (a tool of the devil), part was fear (a tool of the devil), and part was a lack of understanding. I didn't understand why I should need his help. Couldn't I work it out on my own with the Savior? I suspect others may have similar thoughts and feelings. I can tell you that there is no need to feel shame; we are all imperfect and no one expects you to emerge from life without any mistakes. I can tell you that there is nothing to fear; your Bishop, whoever he is, is a kind, loving servant of God, honestly striving his best to help and assist you. I can tell you that, but it may not make much difference. You will have to receive those same witnesses for yourself, through the Spirit.
What I can do is perhaps share with you some things I have learned about why the Bishop plays a critical and central role in our efforts to access the atoning blood of Christ.
What I knew of the Bishop's role ever since I was a youth is that he is a judge in Israel (e. g. here). We have probably all heard that. Sadly, it probably helps foster that fear we all feel; none of us want to be judged. Interestingly, something I learned a couple of years ago while teaching Old Testament in seminary is that "judge" and "judgement" in the Old Testament has a different connotation than we use today.
Consider these verses from Psalms 10:17-18:
17 Lord, thou hast heard the desire of the humble: thou wilt prepare their heart, thou wilt cause thine ear to hear:18 To judge the fatherless and the oppressed, that the man of the earth may no more oppress.
We don't typically think of the Lord coming out in righteous indignation against the fatherless and the oppressed, right? We expect him to come out in mercy and love to protect and defend the fatherless and the oppressed. Somehow, the meaning was switched from what He would do for the the oppressed to what He would do for the oppressor somewhere along the line. I believe that often in the scriptures, the meaning the Lord has in mind when he says "judge" is that implied here - to come out in great power and mercy in defense of those that have no defense. The Bishop, then, is a judge in Israel - the Lord's appointed servant to come out in power and mercy in defense of you, who are oppressed by sin. Consider also Isaiah 1:17, 23; Psalm 68:5; Psalm 7:11; Isaiah 11:4; Jeremiah 5:28). Clearly, not all instances of "judge" are to be read this way, though I think the vast majority can be.
What I learned while working with my Bishop was that some sins are violations of covenants we have made with God and with the Church and so the Bishop acts as an agent of the Lord and of the Church to receive our confession and apology. While I found that interesting, it was not exactly inspiring or the answer I was looking for when I asked him what his role is in the process.
Several years after I had finished meeting with the Bishop and left those particular troubles behind, I learned of a role the Bishop plays in the process, which, for me, was eye-opening.
We are all, to one extent or another, familiar with these words of John the Baptist in the 13th Section of the Doctrine and Covenants:
1 Upon you my fellow servants, in the name of Messiah I confer the Priesthood of Aaron, which holds the keys of the ministering of angels, and of the gospel of repentance, and of baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; and this shall never be taken again from the earth, until the sons of Levi do offer again an offering unto the Lord in righteousness.
I don't know how many times I have read that or similar scriptures without catching the role of the Bishop. The Bishop is the President of the Aaronic Priesthood in his ward (D&C 107:87-88). The Aaronic Priesthood holds the keys for "...the gospel of repentance...". The Bishop, in each ward, holds the keys for the ministration of the gospel of repentance within that ward. He has the authority, responsibility, and privilege to exercise those keys on behalf of the members of his ward, to open the windows of heaven, to assist the repentant in his or her quest to access the power of the atonement, and to guide the humble follower of Christ back to Him.
The Bishop is not a cold authority figure placed at the head of the ward, waiting to come down in condemnation of those who are found to be sinners. Rather, the Bishop is a loving steward, called of God, to minister to His sheep and call down the powers of heaven on their behalf that they may feel of the peace and joy and love that the Savior gives to those who seek him with humble hearts.
I have had the privilege now to work with Bishop Leder for a little over 3 months. I know him to be filled with Charity, a gift bestowed upon him by the Spirit, which gift is given him that he might serve in the Lord's stead to succor the weak, lift up the down trodden, strengthen the feeble knees, and bring the sinners to repentance. Though a man, he is a servant of God and can be your friend as you seek to come unto the Savior.
Love your gospel thoughts. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete