Monday, August 3, 2015

The Faith of a Child

I would like to share an experience I recorded in my journal at the end of last year as I had my first experiences on the other side of the table in tithing settlement.

"[A young child] (8 years old) came in to my office with his family for tithing settlement. In his hand, he held a donation envelope; his eyes held tears. 
For him, paying tithing was a real sacrifice. It was a sacrifice in a way I have not personally experienced to date. His family, while not starving, is not wealthy. They make ends meet, but there is very little slack. Mom and Dad both work; Dad also has a small side business. The children have learned from a very early age to differentiate wants from needs. Though, it was still not easy to relinquish the wants. 
[This child] had come to understand the power of money and its many uses. He knew better than most 8-year-olds the sacrifice entailed in donating 10% of all his increase. He had also come to understand the power of obedience. He knew better than many adults the blessings that come from willing sacrifice in obedience to God's commands. 
It was hard for him to pay his tithing. It tore at his insides and made him cry for the wants that would be unrealized. But, he had been taught by his faithful parents the great need we have for the blessings given to honest tithe payers. So he willingly, under no coercion from his parents or from me, his Bishop, made the donation and declared himself a full tithe payer. 
My heart leapt and sang at the great faith exhibited by this young man! His gift was not begrudgingly given, despite its difficulty. His sacrifice was echo of the immortal words of the Savior, 'if it be Thy will, let me keep these few coins. Nevertheless, not my will but Thine be done.' 
I would hope and pray that I and we all may develop this same trust and faith in our Heavenly Father and all of His words."



No comments:

Post a Comment